.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Ask Shifra

Something Different... Answering questions and making curious observations (online) since 2005.


Powered by WebAds

Sunday, July 27, 2008

Lawn Care and the Single Woman

Yeah, I've been gone a long time.
Longer than I've been away from this blog, that's for sure.
I haven't felt like "Ask Shifra" in well over a year but slowly I'm feeling more and more like myself.

My husband and I separated in February... it was a long time coming I guess but no less shocking somehow. When I tell people about it I compare it to this cartoon I had on my fridge for many years.

In the first frame there is a snail about two feet away from a banana peel.
In the second frame it's about a foot away from the peel.
In the third frame the snail is right up next to the peel.
And it the fourth it's yelling "WHOA!" as it slips way up into the air.

You know it's coming but it doesn't seem possible until it happens.

Telling our kids was the worst, telling my grandmothers wasn't great either.
"Who's going to mow the lawn?" asked my grandma, clearly shaken.
"I will" I said "I've always mowed the lawn."
"Couldn't you pay a neighbor boy to do it? There must be some boys around who can mow the lawn?"
"Grandma, it's not a problem, I've always mowed the lawn, I can mow the lawn..."
"Maybe you could hire a service, I don't think it would cost that much..."

So now I'm very careful to keep my lawn looking good.
The appearance of my wellbeing depends on it apparently.

For those of you left hanging from my last post, I'm pleased to report that in week seven of my job search I had three excellent job offers. I chose the company that seemed the most flexible and well organized because that's really what I need right now. It was a good choice, and I am very happy there.

I'm busy but not too busy to crank out a post now and then if anyone is still interested.
Is anyone?

30 Comments:

At 8:45 AM, Blogger Leora said...

Enjoyed reading your conversation with your grandmother. Very real.

Sorry to hear about the divorce.

I must have added you to my Google Reader a long time ago; your post just showed up. I'll keep reading; I'm curious.

 
At 9:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ya

 
At 9:51 AM, Blogger Ezzie said...

Of course we're interested! :)

Sorry about the separation; may everything happen for the best...

At least you have a lawn!

 
At 10:39 AM, Blogger Shira Salamone said...

I see that this is one of those "good news, bad news" posts. I'm sorry to hear about your separation, but glad that you're reemployed.

Hope to see you and the kids at the NYC bloggers' picnic.

 
At 10:41 AM, Blogger Ahuva said...

I'm sorry to hear about your separation. But of course we're still here and reading.

 
At 10:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You've been missed.

 
At 11:05 AM, Blogger Elie said...

Welcome back to posting! May blogging continue serve a need in your new life.

 
At 11:27 AM, Blogger PsychoToddler said...

I'm glad you're coming around. Too bad I can't have you come over here and do my lawn.

 
At 1:11 PM, Blogger Holy Hyrax said...

Shifra, I chave no lawn, but I have plenty of borsht. ;)

 
At 3:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome back!

 
At 8:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As the child of a modern orthodox divorce, I promise that despite how it might feel, a divorce CAN be a mitzvah. Hang in there, and we missed you!

 
At 10:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So sorry to hear what you have gone through --but obvioulsy it is to greener pastures.
Have eagerly looked for your postings and hope that this means that you are slowly getting adjusted to this new and better life.
Having been there and done that, am rooting for you and know that you will be happier.
All the best.

 
At 2:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Definitely interested in more posts... always thinking about you...

 
At 8:44 AM, Blogger Eliyahu said...

may it all be for the good! blessings to you and your family and for a great lawn.

 
At 4:18 PM, Blogger SuperRaizy said...

So sorry to hear about your separation. Hang in there, it gets easier over time, as the situation "normalizes".
I'm new to your blog, but I too, will keep reading.

 
At 1:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wishing you lots of strength during this difficult period.

 
At 8:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to see you back online.
Hope you fell ok; that's important.

 
At 11:57 AM, Blogger Juggling Frogs said...

Welcome back! We missed you.

I hope everything works out for the best.

May your lawn continue to thrive, and may you find joy in tending to it.

 
At 11:57 AM, Blogger Juggling Frogs said...

Welcome back! We missed you.

I hope everything works out for the best.

May your lawn continue to thrive, and may you find joy in tending to it.

 
At 2:11 PM, Blogger Batya said...

Good luck with everything.

 
At 9:45 AM, Blogger Steg (dos iz nit der šteg) said...

yes, definitely interested in you getting back to blogging!

sorry about your separation — but if it's the right and necessary thing to do, it's good.

 
At 5:17 PM, Blogger redsneakz said...

It's the worst thing ever.

And then, it stops being the worst thing ever.

There are 3 rules, though:
1) Be careful around the kids.
2) Be really careful around the kids.
3) The kids can always hear you.

 
At 5:58 PM, Blogger Jack Steiner said...

Welcome back.

 
At 5:47 PM, Blogger MasterSparky said...

Want a free battery powered mower?

http://www.lawncareguide.org/lawn-mowers/neuton-mower-giveaway/

 
At 5:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shifra, I've been worried about you. For good reason, apparently. I've never commented before, but I'm a devoted reader and have been checking in periodically to see if you were posting again. I'm so sorry about you and your husband. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

 
At 1:23 AM, Blogger Lady-Light said...

I'm always shocked when I hear something like this; maybe it's because...changing status quo is so difficult for me. . .
Welcome back, and hope it is all for the best.

 
At 4:08 PM, Blogger littlejerseygirl said...

I'm sorry about the separation.
I would love it if you kept blogging. We missed you.

 
At 11:31 AM, Blogger Looking Forward said...

oh my gosh. . .

the one peice of measily advice I can give is never, nomatter how big the temptation, put down your kids father in front of them.

oh my gosh. I'm so sorry. :(

 
At 5:51 PM, Blogger RivkA with a capital A said...

Shifra -- Post. Posting is good.
Sorry to hear about your separation. Good luck in your new job.

Yoni -- that's pretty good advice for us all! (same is true in reverse)

 
At 3:04 AM, Anonymous Kesha Tickets said...

Big thanks for the useful info i found on Comentari de categoria nova.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home