.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Ask Shifra

Something Different... Answering questions and making curious observations (online) since 2005.


Powered by WebAds

Monday, February 04, 2008

Unemployment Week 3 - Out of the Box

Today I spent an hour being on hold with, and then disconnected by, the New Jersey Department of Labor's voice mail system, it seems like by the time I get my unemployment money I may well have returned to the workforce!

So far there do seem to be a lot of jobs ad out there for work in my field.
I'm reading through them and applying to 'em one by one.
Just now I saw two job ads in a row requesting someone that "thinks outside the box."

Ummm... Job ad writer guys? I have a message for you:
The 1980's just called, they want their clever catch phrase back.
I might go so far as to say that out of the box practically IS today's box. So uninspiring.

Anyway back to it! Looking for a job is my job these days and for once I can't afford to slack too much. Also I've got another batch of cinnamon buns in the works and I need to go check on them.

18 Comments:

At 12:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hard to imagine someone in an interview actually using that phrase with a straight face.

Good luck with the job search!

 
At 11:39 AM, Blogger PsychoToddler said...

(affecting a Strong Bad voice): Out of the Box?? OUT OF DE BOX?! Man, I'm so out of the box, I'm like, practically BEHIND the box. I'm partially obscured by the box! I'm so out of the box it's like I'm back IN the box!

 
At 11:43 AM, Blogger Jack Steiner said...

I color outside the lines.

 
At 1:31 PM, Blogger Holy Hyrax said...

I tear mattress labels off.

 
At 4:53 PM, Blogger SaraK said...

I don't know what you do, but we have some job openings where I work. Feel free to e mail me skruger14[at]hotmail[dot]com

 
At 7:11 AM, Blogger Baila said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 7:13 AM, Blogger Baila said...

When they interview you and let you know what the salary is, ask, "Where's the beef?"

 
At 12:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This author has been removed by the post.

 
At 12:50 AM, Blogger Gila said...

Oh my...flashbacks to my time at MBNA. "Think outside the box!" All day, every day.

I think I need a valium.

 
At 12:45 PM, Blogger Looking Forward said...

http://dovbear.blogspot.com/2008/02/here-we-go-with-another-dovbear-contest.html

just like old times... save for the fact that all the clever commenters a gone.

Wont you please inject the thread with some precious wit?

we miss you.

(sorry to be so very off topic.)

 
At 11:03 AM, Blogger Jameel @ The Muqata said...

I'm sure something will work out soon...you can't bake forever!

 
At 8:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am reminded of a cartoon a colleague has outside here door. The picture is a goldfish with a mask and snorkel on. The fish is propped up by its fins on the edge of a fisshbowl, with the end of the dnorkel in the water. The caption is "Think outside the bowl."

 
At 12:53 AM, Blogger Holy Hyrax said...

>I'm sure something will work out soon...you can't bake forever!


Sssshhhhhh

Quiet you fool. She is likely to take that as a challenge

 
At 4:23 PM, Blogger Holy Hyrax said...

uh oh,

Now Shifra is in trouble with the Chinese mob

 
At 12:48 PM, Blogger AMSHINOVER said...

Jersey Labor?
shiffy email me ASAP amshinover@gmail.com

 
At 3:55 PM, Blogger AMSHINOVER said...

ive never met anyone who thinks outside the box

have you?

;)

 
At 3:01 AM, Blogger Jack Steiner said...

Yoohooo

 
At 4:52 PM, Blogger Jack Steiner said...

Ok, all the Asian entries failed to catch your eye, so how about this?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home