.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Ask Shifra

Something Different... Answering questions and making curious observations (online) since 2005.


Powered by WebAds

Thursday, October 25, 2007

I'm...back?

I've been having a hard time trying to decide what to do with this blog.

I know that many of my readers like to visit here for a bit of a brain break - something thought provoking or funny but light enough that still goes down easy.

Since my brother passed away, I've not really been feeling that humorous and when I am I feel a bit guilty about it.

In addition, when you blog about personal things it compromises your anonymity and what little privacy I though I might have had has pretty much dissolved.
It's not that I mind so much - it's kind of cool to have your friends and neighbors reading what you write but it's more pressure in a way, and restraining too, since what you say can so easily come back to haunt you.

I have had a lot of thoughts about heavy topics such as life, death, religion, shiva and many lighter ones too. I don't want this to turn into a mourning blog - although those certainly have their place, and I've gained a lot from reading them that's not what "Ask Shifra" is about. My brother was a very lively person full of energy and funny as hell and although I never want to speak for the dead I don't think he'd like that much at all.

So I'm going to try to get back to doing what I do...

I hope I still have it in me.
I hope my readers come back.
I hope they like what they find.
I hope they click on my web ads. (kidding, kidding)

I've missed you.

-Shifra

19 Comments:

At 10:09 AM, Blogger Ezzie said...

Eh. Blog for you. :)

B'hatzlacha, and welcome back. We're happy to see you!

 
At 11:33 AM, Blogger mother in israel said...

Welcome back!

 
At 12:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

There are a lot of different ways to blog.

 
At 12:29 PM, Blogger RaggedyMom said...

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

 
At 2:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I missed you.

 
At 3:30 PM, Blogger PsychoToddler said...

Blogging should never seem like pressure.

Unless you're getting paid.

A lot.

You're not getting paid a lot, are you?

Just use it for an outlet, and for connecting with your blog buddies.

I didn't know your brother but I'm guessing he wouldn't want you to turn this thing into a shrine.

 
At 4:34 PM, Blogger My Balancing Act said...

we like anything you have to say, depressing or funny...or smart.

xoxoox vicky

 
At 4:52 PM, Blogger Holy Hyrax said...

Hey, did you ever tell that story of the time you had to roll down your window so you can open your car door from the outside on your way to get your soccor mom haircut after the night your husband ate all the meatballs and got sick which was the night you decided to play ABBA and dance with your girls?

 
At 9:11 PM, Blogger Elie said...

As you know, I've been there - and am still there, though less often.

The writing can be a very helpful and intense outlet, if you want it to be. Or it can be an escape, light and playful. Or both.

Write what you feel. Nobody who knows you will think any less of you no matter what you write, and nobody who doesn't will care.

And please contact me anytime if you want to talk.

 
At 10:19 PM, Blogger Eliyahu said...

yes, welcome back! your readers and fans welcome you back! write here, write for yourself, write your memories, love, sorrow, and stories! share or not. pulitzer prize or not, you're still first prize to us. blessings.

 
At 3:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I happened upon your blog, respect your wish for privacy, love your outlook on life, appreciate the fact that something doesn't have to be absolutely hilarious to bring a smile on my face
... and can't wait to read more

 
At 1:03 AM, Blogger That Frum Guy said...

So glad you're back! :-)

 
At 2:47 AM, Blogger Shira Salamone said...

I'm with Elie on this: "Write what you feel." Write heavy-duty stuff or lighter fare, as you want and/or need.

I'm glad to see you writing.

 
At 4:07 PM, Blogger Jack Steiner said...

Just take your time and let the words come as they will.

 
At 8:52 PM, Blogger G6 said...

Welcome back!
Oh, and remember... often the weightier topics life/death/shiva are fodder for the lighter topics...
Sorrow and laughter are intimately connected.

 
At 8:36 AM, Blogger Baila said...

Welcome back! As everyone else, write whatever you feel, and don't feel that you have to please us...we're happy to read anything you write...

 
At 5:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good to have you back Shifra.

 
At 4:54 AM, Blogger Leah Goodman said...

Welcome back,
And yes, let it go how it goes. If you're mourning, you can mourn here, too.
Don't force definitions upon yourself too much.

 
At 4:25 PM, Blogger Scraps said...

Welcome back. We've missed you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home