.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Ask Shifra

Something Different... Answering questions and making curious observations (online) since 2005.


Powered by WebAds

Monday, May 07, 2007

Interview Meme - yes, it's a list!

This one is courtesy of Elie - wherein bloggers write up interview questions for other bloggers to respond to on their own blogs. If you would like a list of original Shifra-style questions for your blog drop me a line in the comments section.

Is there a career path that you always wished you could have taken, but never did for reasons of circumstance or practicality? If so, what?

I've always been interested in a lot of things and as such I have trouble focusing on any one exclusively. One of the worst moments of my college career was reviewing my score on a career aptitude test to discover that I had scored evenly in every area! There are so many things that interest me from architecture to teaching to writing. I've been lucky to be able to indulge in lot of my interests as hobbies and as I've gotten older I've realised I'm pretty lucky to be a jack of all trades.

Favorite meal: Breakfast, lunch, supper, shalosh-seudos, late-night snack, other?

Although I enjoy all my meals breakfast has GOT to be my favorite. I love all dairy products, eggs any style, toast, danishes, and sweet rolls. I even enjoy the very rare fleshig breakfast such as salami and eggs or kosher sausage or a even soy based alternative. Last, but certainly not least I love hot drinks - my love for coffee is well known here at Ask Shifra but I also enjoy all sorts of teas and chai, as well as hot chocolate.

Name a fictional character who has strongly influenced your personal philosophy, and why.

That's a hard one, but I'm going to say Dr. Who. Despite his tragic circumstances (homeworld destroyed, being the last of his kind, losing of innumerable friends and companions, constantly being hunted by daleks) and his lack on an explainable name ("Just the Doctor.") this fellow manages to maintain a very positive outlook on both life and humanity. He adapts well to new environments, and thinks on his feet faster than McGyver on steroids. He was also my inspiration to learn to knit scarves at the ripe old age of 13.

"When you're down, and troubled, and need some loving care..." besides nears-and-dears, what do you turn to?

Music, ABSOLUTELY. My MP3 player is pretty much wall to wall upbeat music. From punk, to classic rock, to alternative/indie, to accapella I look to music to pull me out of whatever funk I find myself in. Sure music can't solve my problems but sometimes forgetting about them for 3 minutes and ten seconds at a time makes all the difference.

The Sanhedrin is reinstituted, and you are given the opportunity to propose one item of legislation to add, eliminate, or change/evolve a current area of (Rabbinic) Jewish law. What would you submit?

Only one?! Well OK then- I'd like to propose the elimination of the sheva nikkim - it appears that women brought this one on themselves for whatever reason but I'm yet to meet a woman (or man!) who wouldn't like to put an end to it.

16 Comments:

At 10:07 AM, Blogger Elie said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 10:07 AM, Blogger Elie said...

Shifra: Thanks - great answers! FYI, your #5 was the same answer I would have given. In fact I was thinking of turning that question into a topic of its own.

 
At 11:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love Dr. Who also. I never knew that about you. Fascinating.

 
At 11:18 AM, Blogger Shifra said...

Archie -
Your name doesn't ring a bell - are you a new reader or just "delurking?"

 
At 12:39 PM, Blogger Jack Steiner said...

Is delurking like decloaking. I am just wondering.

 
At 1:59 PM, Blogger Shifra said...

Yes it is EXACTLY like decloaking except that generally lifeforms delurk to make comments on blogs, rather than blow up their enemies.

 
At 2:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually, I'm defenestrating.

 
At 2:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting stuff... I remember taking a career aptitude test and getting the rather confusing results: Apparently I would do well in business or art or technology or teaching or administration or... (and on and on).

 
At 5:57 PM, Blogger DTC said...

Wait a second Shifra...

You mean that your school actually:

A) HAD a career services office?

and

B) actually had said office that even tried to HELP?

I really should have been more forceful about attending that open house - I definitely went to the wrong school.

 
At 8:24 PM, Blogger Looking Forward said...

firstly I'd like to say that my brother also learned to knit because of doctor who. :-)

and breakfast, definately breakfast, as in french toast and hot chocolate. Yum...

 
At 10:19 PM, Blogger Shifra said...

DTC - Don't get too excited - after giving me the test the guidance counselor told me that if I wasn't going to grad school (no money) it didn't much matter what I majored in because I wouldn't be able to turn any BA into a career, have a nice day!

 
At 10:44 PM, Blogger Jack Steiner said...

Actually, I'm defenestrating.

Is there a virtual window here?

 
At 12:53 AM, Blogger Ezzie said...

I think our career counselors knew a lot less than we did.

 
At 1:04 AM, Blogger Holy Hyrax said...

career counselors???

 
At 1:58 AM, Blogger Hila said...

I don't know if it would work well for you to interview me since part of me thinks you have to "know" the other blogger fairly well to ask them questions, but if you would like to interview someone and haven't already had a bajillion other volunteers, then I'm game! I tried to volunteer for Elie but you and miriam l already did :-)

my blog e-mail is soon2bejew at gmail dot com :-)

 
At 7:34 PM, Blogger RaggedyMom said...

Breakfast is totally underrated. Pancakes are among my favorite foods ever, and I occasionally reminisce about Denny's and IHOP to RaggedyDad all the time (who has his own unappetizing-sounding Russian memories of liver and cream cheese sandwiches - blech!).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home