.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Ask Shifra

Something Different... Answering questions and making curious observations (online) since 2005.


Powered by WebAds

Thursday, April 12, 2007

Pesach Wrap Up

Whew!
I'm back. Pesach was nice... a little too much time away from home, specifically a little too much time in close proximity with relatives (I'll not be doing that again anytime soon) but overall a good break.

I'm got a lot to catch up on at work so just a few things to tide you over for now.

Chavi Kaufman at the Seder

Chavi: Zaidy? Why do we have the afikoman?
Zaidy: (offers a brief explaination) ...and when the Bais Hamikdash is rebuilt the afikoman will once again be replaced by the korbon Pesach!
Chavi: Wow! ....but how do you hide a whole lamb?

Kurt Vonnegurt

One of my favorite writers, and one of the biggest influences on my own writing, has passed away today. Please take a few minutes read this simple but effective essay on writing which I was fortunate to come across in my teenage years.
I think it's some of the best writing advice I've ever received.

Labels: , ,

12 Comments:

At 10:11 AM, Blogger PsychoToddler said...

Welcome back! We had the first seder at my in-laws house, and Iguana (10) asked some question during the seder, for which my father-in-law provided some scholarly answer. To which Iguana responded:

"Yes. The real answer is blah blah blah etc.

"But your answer was good too."

 
At 11:19 AM, Blogger Elie said...

Welcome back. Love that CK question! That belongs in a book of Jewish Humor.

 
At 1:08 PM, Blogger Looking Forward said...

last time we stole the afikoman was when I was like nine. Then one year we refrained from stealing the afikoman any my father heaped his praise on us publicaly demonstrating his nachas for what upright children we were and we never stole it again.

there went that family minhag.

 
At 1:14 PM, Blogger Elie said...

HNC: We had/have the opposite minhag; the father hides it and the kids try to find it. Actually, most people I asked do it that way, instead of the kids snatching/stealing it. I wonder where/when each custom originated, and which was first?

Shifra, on a related note, I didn't tag anyone but please feel free to participate in the Pesach Meme, started unofficially by me and officially by Lady Light.

 
At 2:37 PM, Blogger Jack Steiner said...

I enjoyed Vonnegut's essay.

 
At 2:43 PM, Blogger Shifra said...

I'm glad you liked it.
When I used to tutor writing I had all my students read it.

 
At 5:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is anyone going to ask how MY seder went?

 
At 7:13 PM, Blogger Ezzie said...

LOL.

Thanks for the Vonnegut essay, it was excellent.

 
At 11:14 PM, Blogger RaggedyMom said...

PT - Did Iguana actually say "blah, blah, blah" or something else?

Shifra - Let me just say - I hear ya about the overexposure to relatives for extended periods of time. As nice as it was (for the first couple of days) I think we're not doing that again, either.

Or, to paraphrase the Hagaddah, had we left after the first days, it would have been enough! It just wasn't so feasible for so many days.

As for Vonnegut, Slaughterhouse Five impacted me so much during high school, which led to choosing him for an in-depth author study assignment. Which gave me the impetus to visit the Queens College library. His work will definitely leave its impact, and that essay is a great slice of his wit. Thanks.

 
At 11:07 AM, Blogger PsychoToddler said...

No she said, Yada yada yada, blah blah blah, etc etc.

 
At 4:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for the Kurt Vonnegut essay.

Ruth

 
At 12:33 PM, Blogger Eliyahu said...

Vonnegut makes a lot of sense, just like Shifra!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home