.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Ask Shifra

Something Different... Answering questions and making curious observations (online) since 2005.


Powered by WebAds

Sunday, March 12, 2006

Wait and See

Hey,

Thanks to everyone who emailed me to see how I'm doing- you guys are really the best. I've recieved all kinds of great advice over the last two weeks from "revise your resume" to "have a few drinks," both of which I have done.

I'm sorry to report that I've taken this whole losing my job thing awfully hard. Even though I've been lucky and found a decent paying temp job to hold me over in the meantime I'm finding myself very depressed and filled with anxiety over what the future will hold for me and my family.

My current job ends on Tuesday (which I'm taking off - HA!) and the new one starts on Wednesday. I anticpate that the worst part will be being away from my kids hours longer each day... oh and the mind sucking monkey work I'll be parking my butt in front of all day (but really that's a far second.)

I'm worried I won't find something better.
I'm worried that if I do I'll still be away from my kids too long...
And what about Shabbos?? I hate having to explain that and hope that whatever I've been offered won't be quickly retracted.

Clearly I'm getting way ahead of myself.

Ahem...

With all the additional work I'll be taking on (under more watchful supervision) and all the time I have been/will be spending looking for another job from home I'm not really sure I can keep up this blog.
I want to - I mean where else can I spill my guts to friends and strangers and let them do the same to me in return?
I like it here.
It's like a second home to me - only flat- and with no furniture.
But I digress.
I guess for me it's all about putting in my best efforts and hoping for the best: for my family, for myself, and even for my blog. I guess that's all I can tell you for now.

-Shifra

11 Comments:

At 8:33 PM, Blogger MODoc said...

This is the first time visiting your blog, so I don't know what you did at your job. But I know how you feel. I was just layed off too...and I'm a doctor! I'm sitting around collecting unemployment, just hanging with the dogs. My kids are teenagers, in school all day. I can't relocate, and there are all of four jobs open in my field within commuting distance. So far only one has been interviewing me (three times!). I'm just waiting for the phone to ring, or the email to popup or whatever. Good luck!

 
At 12:29 AM, Blogger Jerusalemcop said...

Hey Shifra,

just wanted to stop by and tell you to hold your head up high and acknowledge that everything is for the best and that things WILL get better. You know about the trials I'm persevering through, so I know I need to take my own advise too.

Good luck and Purim sameach

J.

 
At 1:33 AM, Blogger MUST Gum Addict said...

Hang in there Shifra -- it's hard to accept it now, but you're sure to look back at this time in your life many years from now and you'll see the reason for all of this.

As for spending time blogging, hey, I know all about that. We'll all stand by the decision that you need to make. Family always comes first.

(then again, we're all family here, aren't we?)....

 
At 9:59 AM, Blogger Scraps said...

We'll miss you, Shif. Take care of yourself, and stay in touch when you can.

 
At 10:32 AM, Blogger Air Time said...

Hopefully you will be able to keep in touch with your blog friends.

 
At 12:54 PM, Blogger and so it shall be... said...

Dribs and drabs are better than nothing, so don't close up shop....besides, you won't be able to.

You don't blog because you have extra time. You blog because it's what you do. Even if you say you're quitting, you'll be back. Just skip the pretense. It's far more efficient and makes you seem even more credible.

 
At 6:13 PM, Blogger The back of the hill said...

Be tough, be strong.

It may take a while before you land with your nose in the butter, but it will eventually happen.

And let us know how explaining shabbes goes.

 
At 6:25 PM, Blogger Ezzie said...

What everyone else said, pretty much. Who knows, maybe Adar will bring you some great news - I've been worrying about finding a job for a while now, and just today I got a great call. Hopefully you'll receive even better news!

Chag Purim Sameach!

 
At 6:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wait and See...I'm all cheered up!
(well, not totally...)

http://askshifrapurim.blogspot.com/

 
At 5:01 PM, Blogger Jack Steiner said...

It will all work out.

 
At 12:40 PM, Blogger PsychoToddler said...

Good luck with everything. Panicking never helps anything. Relax, look around, something will come up.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home