.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Ask Shifra

Something Different... Answering questions and making curious observations (online) since 2005.


Powered by WebAds

Thursday, March 16, 2006

The Great Job Hunt Continues

Hi guys,

Thanks for all the supportive comments.
PsychoToddler reads my blog? Who knew!?

Today was my second day at the "new" (hopefully temporary) job.
Hours and hours of data entry :(
I am pleased to report however that the people in the endless data-entry department have all been pretty nice to me and I'm working hard to win over the grumpy ones.

I can't blog (or read much) at work anymore... so that's a downer but understandible I guess. I have been enjoying my lunch hour though. In the past I've always eaten quickly at my desk in order to get home faster- a practice which is not allowed at this job. Since I'm stuck at work until 6PM and I get a full hour for lunch I figure I might as well get nice walk in every day - I find it cheers me up.

At night I've been writing cover letters and hunting for jobs. There seem to be a great many of them out there and one must be right for me. Perhaps I'll start posting some of the funnier job ads I see and ask if anyone can make heads or tails of it.

To sum up:
Limited blogging, and emailing from work.
Grateful for your support.
Stay tuned for comming attractions just at an (even) slower pace than usual.

-Shifra

PS I hope you enjoy the posting by NotShifra in my absence... I thought he/she did a great job!

9 Comments:

At 10:11 PM, Blogger The back of the hill said...

The thing to above all remember is that you will apply at places where you think you would really like to work, and have interviews that are really promising, without getting hired.

It's not rejection, nor is it that you are in any way deficient.

It's purely a numbers game.

- - - - - - - - - -

I usually flunk interviews (my legs start trembling, I sweat and gibber, blink like a deer in the headlights...., you get the picture).

Got the current job because the three previous people couldn't handle it - the company was desperate and called my agency, then they were overjoyed that I didn't run out screaming in the first week.

- - - - - - - - - -

Be strong. Persevere.

And don't put your social security number on too many documents (if they don't hire you, they don't need it in their files).

 
At 7:58 AM, Blogger Jerusalemcop said...

shifra,

man plans, god laughs.

good luck with the hunt.

i love the make the best with what you've got attitude.

shabbat shalom

J.

 
At 11:17 AM, Blogger PsychoToddler said...

Think of it as an opportunity. Change isn't always a bad thing.

 
At 2:49 PM, Blogger Scraps said...

Nice to hear from you, Shif. We miss you, but I'm glad that your temporary job at least has some perks to it. Take care and be in touch.

Have a good Shabbos!

 
At 5:20 PM, Blogger orthomom said...

Wow. Even the spambots are helping you out with job offers! You really DO have people looking out for you!

 
At 5:50 PM, Blogger Shifra said...

That's true OM - and they seem to be a lot more agressive than most of the heathunters I've been speaking to!

 
At 6:44 PM, Blogger PsychoToddler said...

Looks like your problems are solved.

 
At 8:07 PM, Blogger Shifra said...

And people said blogging was a waste of time! HA!

 
At 6:06 AM, Blogger rockofgalilee said...

I've been helping people out with resumes recently, and my advice is to customize your resume to each place you send it to. (not only the cover letter). Make sure you read their requirements and try to work your previous experience, skills and education into saying that you are the exact person that they need.
As an example, I once interviewed at a place that was doing decision management. In my 7 year career I was part of a 2 month decision management project, but I put that project down as a major part of my job description for that job on my resume. I was able to talk inteligently about decision management because I really did have a little experience, and I got offered the job. (Didn't take it)

Generic resumes just throw you into the pile with everyone else, customized resumes put you on the top. It only takes an extra 5 minutes and it makes a huge impression. Make sure your job descriptions fit what they would expect of the person they hire. Make sure the objective says what they are looking for.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home