.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Ask Shifra

Something Different... Answering questions and making curious observations (online) since 2005.


Powered by WebAds

Saturday, February 25, 2006

A word from our sponsor


Yes it's true - I get at least as many weird questions in real life as I do as I do online. Today's question comes from my daughters:

Mommy why do you smell so weird?

Answer: Vicks VapoRub.
I've been sick for two weeks now and I'm starting to think that a daily diet of antihistamines, decongestants and analgesics, washed down by a gallon of tea, may not be the best thing for me. Although I'm starting to take a turn for the better I've decided to move on to treatments that do not need to ride through my whole blood stream... So I looked to Vicks to make me feel better.
I have not used this product since I was a kid but I don't think they've changed the formula one bit. In fact it's making me feel a bit nostalgic (if a person can feel nostalgic for feeling sticky, warm, and mentholated.) Mmmmm menthol....



11 Comments:

At 11:48 PM, Blogger Ezzie said...

Heh - just saw an interview where the interwiewee was talking about using Vicks because she's sick - and how it doesn't do a thing but make her smell weird. But refuah shleimah anyway!

 
At 2:09 AM, Blogger Regina said...

I'm sure I used that gooey stuff when I was a kid, but then as an adult I tried using it and I had some sort of allergic reaction to it... not good. But if it's working for you, Shifra, go for it. Glad you are feeling a little better!

 
At 10:02 AM, Blogger Shifra said...

"When I'm congested, I open a jar of horseradish and sniff."

Oy! Now THAT'S a hamishe home remedy if I've ever heard one!

 
At 3:19 PM, Blogger kasamba said...

Have you tried drinking loads of water to flush out your system? It really works!!

 
At 12:38 AM, Blogger Ezzie said...

Oh yes - forgot to actually suggest anything constructive, like a good Jewish boy. Drinking liters of water throughout the day (like 10) will help a LOT. If you have a fever or just feel weak in general, I'm a big fan of 'burning it out': Essentially tenting yourself in a pitch-black room with the door closed and sleeping with thick blankets over your head (preferably while wearing a sweatshirt). You'll wake up soaking and boiling, but you'll be completely healthy. Take a shower, and it's all good. :)

 
At 2:57 PM, Blogger kasamba said...

Ezzie- did you really mean
10 liters?

 
At 5:06 PM, Blogger Scraps said...

Refuah shelaimah. Never having tried Vicks VapoRub (or whatever it's called), I have no words of wisdom, cynicism, or nostalgia regarding it. But I hope you feel better soon.

 
At 9:53 PM, Blogger The back of the hill said...

Chicken soup with rice-stick noodles. Extra ginger, add a little turmeric.

To settle the stomach, if all those fluids are getting to you, add dried orange peel (or better yet: Citrus Aurantium peel, available in Chinatown, called 'chan-pei), to the soup. The pith of citrus fruit rinds are very soothing to the stomach and mucous membranes.

Salty licorice, also good for mucky membranes, cold and flu symptoms.

And use white flower lotion: pak-faah yau, available at any Chinese store - it's much better than that Tiger Balm garbage that the tourists buy. Warning: It will make you smell like a Cantonese granny.

 
At 10:56 PM, Blogger Ezzie said...

Kasamba - yep. :)

 
At 11:34 PM, Blogger M-n said...

Ezzie, please be careful. Drinking too much water and sweating can kill you. It's called water intoxication leading to hyponatremia and it sometimes happens in marathons. Ask a doctor before drinking excessively and sweating; it could save your life.

 
At 12:12 AM, Blogger Ezzie said...

Mis-Nagid - thanks.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home