.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Ask Shifra

Something Different... Answering questions and making curious observations (online) since 2005.


Powered by WebAds

Thursday, January 19, 2006

The Personal and the Universal

Well yesterday sure was interesting!
I really enjoyed writing yesterday's post for The Muqata, but the reaction people had to it surprised me even more. I THOUGHT I was writing an incredibly revealing personal piece on my my Friday experiences only to find out the EXACT SAME THING is happening every week in Jewish homes all over the world.

A non-Jewish friend of mine cleverly observed: "It sounds pretty difficult to jump into an ancient tradition from a fast paced modern world." And it's true! When you are driving at 100MPH and need to take it down to zero in a hurry there is bound to be some screeching of brakes and a little rocking and bumping. Just keep your suspension tuned up and you should be OK (alright, the car metaphor went too far, I apologize.)

The next edition of the Modern and the Orthodox will be delayed a bit.
My paying job requires my attention today.

9 Comments:

At 12:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Er, I think the link is incorrect. Didn't you mean muqata.blogspot.com (without the word "the") ?

 
At 12:14 PM, Blogger Shifra said...

Right you are anon- all fixed!

 
At 2:29 PM, Blogger and so it shall be... said...

Shifra -- I think you're mistaken. Everyone in the world is normal, punctual, and organized. Except you.

 
At 4:55 PM, Blogger miriamp said...

Right, And that explains why FlyLady exists, and why there's a specific list for Jewish FlyBabies! (Coincidentally, the list "Balabusta" is named Shifra!)

 
At 5:19 PM, Blogger Shifra said...

I assure you it's not me!

 
At 7:05 PM, Blogger Ezzie said...

The personal details of our lives are where we find commonalities.

Amen. And it was a great post, Shifra...

My paying job requires my attention today.

Paying jobs are overrated. :)

 
At 12:15 AM, Blogger Eliyahu said...

the personal details are the interesting points, too. i believe i'll start early this week. it's almost friday: good shabbos shifra & everyone!

 
At 9:46 AM, Blogger Jameel @ The Muqata said...

Good G-d.

NCSY is now a spam monster?

The national conference of spamming youth?

What has the world come to?

 
At 11:00 AM, Blogger Shifra said...

DM- Thank you - are you asking about where my sense of humor is from or the post? I wrote the post myself, my sense of humor comes from my mother's side of the family.

Jameel - Yes, that is pretty disturbing if NCSY has become a spammer...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home