.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Ask Shifra

Something Different... Answering questions and making curious observations (online) since 2005.


Powered by WebAds

Monday, January 23, 2006

My kids suprise me

My kids are on vacation this week.
It's very complicated since my husband was off for winter break already and I used my vacation days to spend time with my brother in the hospital.

Basically we are splitting up the days and taking turns showing the kids a good time.

I was feeling sick with guilt because for the last three weeks they've been listening to their classmates talk about all the fun and exciting places their families will be visiting over the break- Israel, Miami, California, Mexico... I felt pretty crummy that I couldn't promise my kids we'd EVER be able do anything like that.

So to make up for it my husband and I drew up a plan for a week full of day trips and today was my day to take them down to Philly. We were going to hit the museums and the liberty bell, and maybe go out to eat in one of Philly's fine kosher establishments.
This morning however my girls told me they'd rather just hand around town, have friends over, go out for ice cream and maybe go to the library...
"Are you SURE?" I asked them... "We could go to the Franklin Institue and see that giant heart you can slide down..." They thought about it and decided they'd really rather just do things around town and they are having a great time! Just five minutes ago they told me this was "the best day ever." I certainly feel a lot less guilty now.

Hooray for my kids!

11 Comments:

At 11:22 AM, Blogger Steg (dos iz nit der šteg) said...

It was my negative anti-Philadelphia influence, wasn't it?

 
At 12:01 PM, Blogger Little Wolf said...

It really is amazing what kids will think is a great day. It also shows that your kids really enjoy just being with their parents and 'hanging' around ther home city.

 
At 2:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow. They chose a day of hanging around instead of the learning packed phillidelphia.

shocker.

 
At 2:54 PM, Blogger MC Aryeh said...

They sound like sweet kids. Kids have an incredible capacity to find thngs to do when they want to.

When I was in day school, none of my classmates ever went anywhere during break - they took time off from school to go to Mexico and Israel and Belize and France when it fit into their parents's schedule....

 
At 3:29 PM, Blogger Jameel @ The Muqata said...

Excellent! Two summers ago, we made an extra effort to do a lot of things with the kids during vacation. We went on tiyulim up north, down south, an amusement park...camping on night.

At the end of the summer, I asked my kids what they enjoyed most -- and they said, "The day we went to work with you, and hung around your office drinking chocolate milk and drawing on your whiteboard".

Go figure.

 
At 3:30 PM, Blogger Abacaxi Mamao said...

Yeah, kids can be surprising. One of my most favorite birthday presents ever was what I received for my 4th birthday. (I think. Maybe it was 5th.) I got a roll of scotch tape, a bottle of elmer's glue, a box of crayons (8 or 12, not 64!), and a pair of safety scissors. I remember being excited because it meant that I didn't have to ask my mother for art supplies whenever I did an art project (i.e., at least once a week). I remember being absolutely thrilled.

 
At 3:46 PM, Blogger Scraps said...

That's awesome. Kids can be much more low-maintenance than we give them credit for sometimes, can't they? And it's so nice that they just stam enjoyed spending time with you, which is probably something that you can't do very often if you're working.

 
At 5:20 PM, Blogger Ezzie said...

Smart kids! You don't need to go somewhere special to have fun, you just need to have fun to have fun.

 
At 7:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there Shifra, a real useful blog. Can you believe it? When blog surfing for detailed info on uk wedding planning I ended up on your page. Obviously My kids suprise me is not exactly what I was searching for, but your site caught my interest. Just wanted to drop a quick note to comment your blog...now to move on and continue my search for uk wedding planning. Should the need ever arise where you need information on uk wedding planning then drop by for a look.

 
At 7:34 PM, Blogger Anonymous said...

I'd choose just hanging over visiting the Franklin any day. Some people are just not into history..

 
At 10:05 AM, Blogger MUST Gum Addict said...

Good post Shifra. This reminds me of an ad campaign that Citibank is currently running. The headline reads something like "no matter how far you sit from the game, you're still sitting right next to your son".

Sometimes we get caught up in things and think that we have to sit in the front row, or dream up lavish trips, etc. In the end, what's important most to our kids is usually far more simpler. And almost always, they care most about spending time with us.

When you're a kid, the smallest insignificant things are often larger than life. And the bonus is that later on in life, you have more to look forward to (hey, a kid who does everything before they are 13, what could a nice chosson possibly do short of skydiving that would interest them anymore?)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home