.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Ask Shifra

Something Different... Answering questions and making curious observations (online) since 2005.


Powered by WebAds

Thursday, December 08, 2005

Matters of the heart (and mind)

As I'm typing this my brother is being prep-ed for open-heart surgery.
I'm at work and he is hundreds of miles away and it's very difficult.

I bought a ticket to fly out there from Sunday to Thursday to help take care of him and his family as he recovers. I think my sister-in-laws parents are there now, and I didn't want to get in their way. I wanted to come when I'd be of the most use... but as the hours and minutes slowly tick by I'm sorry I'm not there now.

I've been worried about my brother since I found out he wasn't well but right now is the first time I'm really afraid. When he had surgery when we were were both kids, I remember seeing him on the gurney, in his hospital gown, IV in place, 1/2 sedated ready to roll into the operating room. I remember squeezing his hand for luck even though I didn't know if he was aware that I was there. When he squeezed back I knew he'd be OK. I wish I could feel that "squeeze back" now. Sure my brother can be a jerk sometimes, but when the two of us are together we make each other laugh like no one else can. If anything happened to him that's what I'd miss the most.

Now I'm crying but it feels to good to finally get that out there- this is exactly why I love blogging.

The screen is getting all blurry now so let me just say thank you to all my friends out there in cyberspace for your kind emails, offers of tehillim and support- you've all been a big help to me.

18 Comments:

At 10:28 AM, Blogger Just Passing Through said...

You're both in our bloughts (blog thoughts) as we pray all goes well.

 
At 11:22 AM, Blogger Eliyahu said...

praying for a swift and complete recovery.

 
At 12:29 PM, Blogger Little Wolf said...

Hope everything goes smoothly. Please keep us up to date. I'm sure I am not the only one who is worrying with your today.

 
At 4:20 PM, Blogger treppenwitz said...

Shifra... I'm continuing to say tehillim for Chaim Ozer Yisroel ben Basya Yocha and would encourage anyone reading this to at least say his name and think good thoughts!

 
At 5:58 PM, Blogger and so it shall be... said...

The Metsudah tehillim lists

6,13,20,22,23,30,32,38,41,51,86,88,91,102,103,121,130,142,143

...as the ultimate refuah sh'leimah tefilot. I said a bunch of those. I encourage others who visit here to saya few t'hillim l'z'chus Shifra's brother.

 
At 5:59 PM, Blogger and so it shall be... said...

6,13,20,22,23,30,32,38,41,
51,86,88,91,102,103,
121,130,142,143

 
At 6:19 PM, Blogger Ezzie said...

Refuah Shleimah. Mikol Halev.

 
At 6:25 PM, Blogger Lab Rab said...

Please give your brother a hearty hand-squeeze on my behalf next week.

Refuah Shleimah.

 
At 7:11 PM, Blogger Shifra said...

Thank you so much to all of you.
He almost didn't make it.
After a full day of surgery and many, many complications they were about to give up. They got a minyan together at the hospital, they said tehillim and changed his name to Rephael Chaim Ozer Yisroel ben Basya Yocha. They said viduy over him, it looked like the end but amazingly his heart started up again.

He's got a long way to go now, but it's a good start.

I can't begin to tell you how much all your support means to me.

 
At 7:14 PM, Blogger and so it shall be... said...

Baruch Hashem!!!!!!!! Thank you for the update (and the updated name). It's important to know that tefilah is working and that we should all keep it up.

 
At 7:26 PM, Blogger MC Aryeh said...

I had a lump in my throat reading this post. So glad you updated to let us know the operation went ok. Sincerely hope it is all smooth sailing from here. Will continue to daven...

 
At 1:51 AM, Blogger KleoPatra said...

Refuah Shelama... keep praying...

 
At 8:46 AM, Blogger Elie said...

My thoughts are very much with you guys. Refuah shlaima to your brother. Please call us if you need anything today; Shabbos food, etc.

 
At 11:34 AM, Blogger AMSHINOVER said...

chasdei Hashem

 
At 12:09 PM, Blogger Little Wolf said...

Shifra:

Thanks for the update. I am happy it resolved the way it did.

As before, know that if you need anything from me you have but to ask.

 
At 2:42 PM, Blogger Steg (dos iz nit der šteg) said...

qoyey H' yahhalifu koahh, ya‘alu eiver kanesharim; yarutzu velo’ yiga‘u, yeilekhu velo’ yi‘afu

 
At 3:05 PM, Blogger Jameel @ The Muqata said...

Steg:

That was great.

Thank G-d I usually write in Hebrew and don't have to transliterate.

Shabbat Shalom

 
At 8:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello
Very like it!
I like it a lot! Good work, keep it up. Here a lot of helpful information.

Try this - very useful:

http://lortab.butkel1.org/ lortab

Ciao!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home