.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Ask Shifra

Something Different... Answering questions and making curious observations (online) since 2005.


Powered by WebAds

Monday, November 07, 2005

A follow up on all things Shifra: Part One

People have been asking for a follow up on my work and carpool situation.
Although I barely find the topics interesting enough to write about perhaps they will be more interesting to read.

Anyway, you asked for it...

Carpool- Carpool is weird, I'm still getting used to the new arrangement.
It's a lot like dating, no one is really acting like "themselves" yet. My carpool buddy (who will now be know as CB) is younger than our new hitchhiker and feels morally obligated to give her the front seat. Every day I have to remind her that she was there first and that it's my car and I decide who can sit where. She ends up sitting in the front about half the time. One thing that does annoy me is that the new rider gets a lot of calls on her cell phone. She has three teenaged kids and there is a lot of loud giving of directions over the phone:
"I SAID take the CHICKEN out of the FREEZER and put it on the COUNTER!"
or "YES you NEED to go to HOCKEY PRACTICE!" or "NO, there is NO SPARE KEY UNDER THE MAT!"

CB gets some phone calls too, but she keeps them short and quiet, plus her ring tone is the theme to mario brothers which always cracks me up.

The truth is that the new rider is very nice- it's hard to find anything bad to say about her. She's friendly and sensible, I just find it disappointing not to be able to speak freely with CB the way we used to or to fight over the radio. Currently we are audio-free (no radio, no CDs) until I figure out if our musical tastes will offend the new rider or not (and/or if I care!)

Also my decision not to clean up the back of my car was a bad one, it's embarrassing. I think I will spend my lunch hour (and a pile of quarters) rectifying that situation.

8 Comments:

At 9:23 AM, Blogger orthomom said...

My car is such a sty that I refrain from giving people lifts as much as I can. Really.

 
At 9:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a crappy situation. It sounds like this person completely sucks the air out of your commute. i would be so ticked off.

 
At 10:28 AM, Blogger Jameel @ The Muqata said...

This is my pet favorite: I'm driving to work (I have a long hourlong commute), and I get lots of work related phone calls. I'm on the phone with an engineer in the US (he/she is half asleep, being on Pacific Time) and all of a sudden a hitchhiker gets a call. Now I'm on the phone trying to explain/understand some complex engineering issue, and this TURKEY starts trying to shout over me into their phone for their conversation. I start talking louder (I'm on speakerphone)...and the person starts yelling louder.

Its like they have NO CLUE about proper hitchhiking etiquette

 
At 11:35 AM, Blogger and so it shall be... said...

What do you expect from Israelis?

 
At 7:14 PM, Blogger Mar Gavriel said...

Speaking of things that are not interesting enough to read, check out this.

 
At 9:26 AM, Blogger Shifra said...

Mar G- That was definately interesting enough to read!
Even thought I've been married 11 years I still dread running into an ex or two!

 
At 10:26 AM, Blogger Steg (dos iz nit der šteg) said...

Why don't you just ask the new carpooler what kind of music they listen to?

 
At 1:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's always a pain to have an interloper in a relationship. Good luck trying to find a happy medium.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home