.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Ask Shifra

Something Different... Answering questions and making curious observations (online) since 2005.


Powered by WebAds

Saturday, September 03, 2005

Distraction!

Like so many of us I've been thinking about Hurricane Katrina pretty much non-stop for days now. Unlike my feelings over the disengagement in Gaza my feelings on this situation are not at all mixed. It is simply devastating on so many levels.
I thought maybe I'd be able to focus my mind elsewhere over Shabbos but it was not to be.
I heard two speakers talk about the situation (both very good) and said tehillim with two seperate groups (in addition on davening Shachris and Mincha with the victims in mind.)

On a less tragic note, perhaps in tribute to their seafaring brethern on the Gulf Coast, all my tropical fish dropped dead within 24 hours this Friday/Shabbos.

So tonight I need a break- just some kind of distraction for a bit to refocus my thoughts and clear my mind.

And then I found it!
Two words... OK three words... Ok two words and a four digit number:

DOCTOR WHO 2005

How did no one tell me that show is back on the air?!

For those of you who don't know it "Doctor Who" is an impossibly long running Sci-Fi television series broadcast by the BBC which has been off the air for a decade at least!
It's great and crazy budget sci-fi with British accents, what's not to like!

How much of a Doctor Who fan was I way back when?
I like to tell people that Doctor Who is the way I knew my husband was the one for me.

My husband and I were on one of our very first dates, in fact we weren't even dating yet- we had gone to a movie as friends. After the film we were both hungry and went to a pizza place for something to eat. My (future) husband was wearing a very nice warm sweater and the pizza shop was boiling hot and crowded. Within minutes my husband was starting to sweat. Finally and with great reservation he pulled off his sweater to reveal a black T-shirt with a huge glow-in-the-dark Doctor Who logo.

This guy's alright with me I thought!
And the rest, is history!

I'm downloading the first episodes now...
I hope I won't be disapointed.

10 Comments:

At 10:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 12:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Opps-- you didn't know they were on? If you can't find 'em, drop me a line, somewhere, and we'll make sure you get 'em.

They were my first intro to Dr. Who... and they're great!

 
At 9:00 AM, Blogger Shifra said...

Hi Matthew.
Your screen name doesn't look familier to me...so welcome!
Feel free to introduce yourself.

As for Dr. Who, no worries!
I'm already downloading episode 1-3 (just another 5 hours!)

 
At 2:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Shifra,
Nice to know that you enjoy Dr Who. It would be interesting to hear the American take on it. Here in the UK, Dr Who is a national institution. Bringing it back was the best thing the BBC ever did.

 
At 7:44 PM, Blogger Ben Avuyah said...

I'd love to see it again, where do you download it from?

My favorite of the five doctors was Tom Baker (I think that was his name, the one with the long scarf right?)

I watched them as a kid becuase my dad was into them, but perceptions are different as a child, I rented one about a year ago and fell asleep in the middle, but I'm ready to give it another shot.

 
At 7:50 PM, Blogger Shifra said...

My husband did the downloading - it took forever!
In fact they are just ready to view now.

I think if you go to www.bittorrent.com and seach for doctor who 2005, you can find places to download them. Just be prepared to wait a day before you can view them.

My father and I used to watch old episodes on PBS late at night Moztei Shabbos- he also was into it before I was. I'm sure those old episodes are are not as good as I remember either (cheap sets, awful effects, etc...)
I'm hearing good things about the new series though so I'm optimistic.

 
At 7:51 PM, Blogger Shifra said...

Davros!
What a surprise to see you on my blog...
You used to give me nightmares as a kid, I'm surprised your still around, you were ancient even then!

 
At 7:55 PM, Blogger Shifra said...

Ben A- Tom Baker is most people's favorite (Although I really liked the doctor that came after him.)
At one point I had knitted myself a huge purple scarf like the Doctor's assistant Ramana...

I was a real sci-fi geek girl for a while there...

 
At 9:56 PM, Blogger Looking Forward said...

dr who was really popular where i grewup as well. dont think i'll get time to watch though

 
At 9:26 AM, Blogger Shifra said...

I watched the first two episodes last night.
Not bad at all!
The character of the Doctor was very consistant with what I remebered from the original series - totally disaffected and yet somehow quite likeable.

The affects and filming have obviously improved although it's definately not slick, which would have annoyed me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home