.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Ask Shifra

Something Different... Answering questions and making curious observations (online) since 2005.


Powered by WebAds

Monday, August 22, 2005

Work Ethic

Hey y'all....

You might have noticed that my posting (and even my commenting on other blogs) has become increasingly light these days.
In May, I was trying to get out a post daily, in June three times a week, and in July about once a week- even resorting to the use of child labor.

So what gives!?

Am I tired of blogging already?
Have I run out of what to say?

Heck no! It's my job that's been getting in the way (ok, ok, and the constant reading about the disengagement situation, and a few games of online scrabble, and a little back to school shopping, but that's it- I swear!)
Having spent the last month or so a little more focused on my actual paying job I've had a lot of time to consider the lighter (and darker) side what this working life/culture is all about.

I am dedicating this week to office/work related issues and commentary.
I have several posts percolating already but if you have any work related questions/comments send them along (via email) and I'll get to "work" on them right away!

-Shifra

4 Comments:

At 9:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought maybe your recent lack of posts meant you went into business for yourself.

Once we're on the subject of work:
I'm willing to bet that all the big bloggers from godol to dovbear and others are all employees with too much free time on their hands. (Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy their posts and the ensuing discussions.)

As a small business owner I have no time to post and very little time to read and comment.

I'd like to know how much guilt the bloggers carry or have they been moreh heter (justified) their actions.

As their boss I would be quite pissed off.

 
At 10:03 AM, Blogger Shifra said...

That's a very interesting question!
It is one I hope to address this week as well.

It's good to have the boss's point of view here.

If your employee did not have enough work to occupy him/her on a given day would it bother you if he/she was blogging or websurfing on company time?

 
At 3:21 PM, Blogger Little Wolf said...

Shifra

what is this thing about work getting in the way of way more important things, like blogging?

I just don't understand.

 
At 4:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shifra,
SInce you asked:
If the employee frequently finds him/herself with too much time on hand then its his/her responsibility to ask the boss/manager for more work.

If it happens very infrequently and there's no one available/around to ask for more work, then I guess blogging or saying tehillim is better than disturbing the other employees.

This is of course the ideal and how I currently run my business (Given the opportunity I would privately censure any employee of mine caught blogging on my time, and if expendable I would fire them the 2nd time caught).

I worked a few years in a big and inefficent corporation. My ideals would not work there. I would imagine most of my former co-workers have made a name for themselves in the blogging world.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home