.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Ask Shifra

Something Different... Answering questions and making curious observations (online) since 2005.


Powered by WebAds

Thursday, December 27, 2007

Work- now with 20% less fun!

I work for a professional organization, with a constantly changing corporate structure, and rules, standards, and policies galore.

Since the rulemakers can't be everywhere at once the good folks in the IT department have set us all up with some sort of internet filter - which blocks out all the fun, non-worky type web sites and allows us to visit the more boring, useful type sites.

For example:
We can visit CNN's home page, but the sports section is blocked.
We can go to yahoo to look up a phone number, but cannot visit their music section.
We can use google, but gmail is off limits.

The software also gives you a reason for the block:
Homestarrunner is classified as "useless,"
whereas MP3Sparks registers as a "music/entertainment site."

Since the web is constantly changing this software is updated frequently, and as such, I have to keep finding new sites to visit during my downtime or when I need a break.

I used to enjoy listening to NPR podcasts while I worked - but as of today those are blocked now. Very disappointing.
No more LOLCATS either - too bad, thoze catz iz funni!

Odd Todd and XKCD still seem to be flying under the radar for now, and amazingly blogger is working too (at least for now.)

OK, my break is over - post your favorite (non-blog) websites in the comments if you like!

-Shifra

16 Comments:

At 2:12 PM, Blogger PsychoToddler said...

First of all, welcome back. Now I'm sure your productivity will plummet to its usual pre-blog-out level.

Homestarrunner useless??

I don't know how anyone can get work efficiently in an office if they haven't seen this training video.

Dullards.

 
At 3:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How did I know that PT would be first to respond with the homestarrunner reference...

What if you try to view these pages with one of the translator pages? Sometimes you can work around the blocks....

 
At 3:30 PM, Blogger Holy Hyrax said...

oh my god
oh my god

another post.

oh yes.....here comes that high I was longing for.

----

anyways, I always enjoy x-entertainment.com

Its for all us people that really enjoyed stuff from the 80's

 
At 4:11 PM, Blogger Rafi G. said...

yet they let you have access to blogger???

 
At 11:24 AM, Blogger Jack Steiner said...

Boing Boing

 
At 12:19 PM, Blogger and so it shall be... said...

Heeeeey ...

When did you sneak back into the building? I though the jBloggosphere was dead or dying.

I wont plug the post I wrote last week (plug, plug) but I did sort of feel cyber tumbleweeds rolling by as I hit POST.

Welcome back.

 
At 9:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bring the IT guys & gals chocolate-chip cookies and they may unblock your account.

Homestarrunner is classified as "useless,"

How wrong. It is actually far more useful than CNN.

 
At 8:50 AM, Blogger Shifra said...

I spoke to a friend in IT (Rule #1 always make friends with the IT guys), they can't even unblock their OWN accounts. Usually IT guys rule the company but not here, everyone is too afraid of breaking the rules.

 
At 12:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow. As an IT person, I would refuse to work at a company where I didn't have God-like powers. Boy, "root" just doesn't mean anything anymore, does it?

 
At 4:56 PM, Blogger megapixel said...

glad to see you back after a long pause

 
At 9:52 AM, Blogger Elie said...

My workplace inexplicably took away blogger access for several months, and just as inexplicably restored it a few weeks ago. It made no sense all along; if they were trying to prevent time-wasting activities they should have (IT forbid!) blocked access to the blogs themselves, not to blogger.

 
At 3:43 AM, Blogger Hila said...

www.gofugyourself.com (not dirty, i promise--- celeb gossip :-))

www.pogo.com (free game site)

www.facebook.com (lots of little apps that allow you to play games and stuff, along with being able to connect with friends)

www.wikipedia.org (ok maybe i'm just an uber-nerd but i get serious enjoyment out of wiki-ing random things from celebrities to the culture of albania :-))

www.pandora.com (free radio, won't always play the exact song/artist you request but creates a playlist based on the characteristics of the music you searched for)

 
At 10:57 AM, Blogger Elie said...

I was listening to Pandora at work for a few months, and had several stations defined. But then they started blocking it! So now I listen to this instead.

 
At 12:59 PM, Blogger Scraps said...

Welcome back! It's nice to see you blogging again. :)

When I'm bored, sometimes I'll look up book titles on Amazon.com and then click on all the titles of books "if you like this book, try these!" and add them to my library list. (Yes, I AM a nerd.)

 
At 10:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

will staph go away mirror whose paid for it y2k

 
At 2:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello !.
You re, I guess , probably curious to know how one can make real money .
There is no need to invest much at first. You may begin to get income with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you haven`t ever dreamt of such a chance to become rich
The company incorporates an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

Its head office is in Panama with offices around the world.
Do you want to become a happy investor?
That`s your choice That`s what you desire!

I`m happy and lucky, I began to get income with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. It`s all about how to choose a correct partner who uses your savings in a right way - that`s the AimTrust!.
I make 2G daily, and my first investment was 500 dollars only!
It`s easy to join , just click this link http://odasukixab.freecities.com/uwisot.html
and go! Let`s take this option together to get rid of nastiness of the life

 

Post a Comment

<< Home