.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Ask Shifra

Something Different... Answering questions and making curious observations (online) since 2005.


Powered by WebAds

Friday, January 19, 2007

ROTFL! (for real)

Thursday night can be a stressful time for a lot of frum women. Suddenly, on top of everything else and at the end of a tiring week, they are expected to churn out two top-shelf meals and get the house cleaned up all in one night!
(Yes, I know there are husbands who do all the cooking and cleaning, a wide variety of kosher takeout options, and cleaning ladies for hire - but this blog is about MY life, so work with me here people!)

When we lived in an apartment we had neighbors who would have a huge, loud, fight each and every Thursday night and even I'll admit that if something goes wrong on a Thursday night it doesn't take much to set me off. I once, many years ago, accidentally spilled an entire stock pot of freshly cooked chicken soup down the drain and cried for well over an hour.

I think, however, I've found the sure for Thursday night stress.
Extreme laughter.

Most people who use text or instant messaging have seen the acronym ROTFL appear on the screen at some point. It stands for "Rolling On the Floor Laughing" but is usually meant to indicated something you found VERY funny. While I've seen many people crack up laughing in my day, actual rolling on the floor with laughter happens a lot less frequently in real life than thost letters appear on the screen.

When it does happen though it feels great!

Last night my husband and I were in the kitchen getting some things ready for Shabbos when he suddenly launched into a version of REM's "Shiny Happy People" which he reworked to do describe some persnickety people we both know. Something to the effect of "Grumpy Cranky People pointing fingers" honestly I don't even remember most of his impromptu lyrics but they were so funny I just couldn't breathe. I had been mixing up a batch of carrot muffins at the table and I had to just sit down on the floor I was laughing so hard but he didn't stop.
By the time I was laying down on the floor laughing so hard my stomach hurt my husband was completely cracking up just from watching me laugh.

Even though our night started off stressfully (unexpected guests we couldn't say no to etc...) that ten minutes of laughter really made my night. Everything got done (almost) and we had a really nice night. I only hope he can come up with some new material for next week.

Labels: , , ,

16 Comments:

At 11:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

One day I'll be reading a blog where the writer describes how her neighbor once spilled a pot of soup down the sink and soon after went completely insane, thereafter spending every Thursday night consumed in maniacal laughter.

She'll be asking her readers, "Why else would any normal Orthodox woman be heard laughing during the Thursday night insanity?"

 
At 11:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As they say, laughter is the best medicine! Glad you got a chance to lighten the Thursday night load this week.

 
At 12:52 PM, Blogger Shifra said...

SW - You are a weirdo.
Thank you for you playing.

Elie - I'm grateful too.

 
At 1:07 PM, Blogger Shifra said...

That should say thank you for playing. I'm TIRED.

 
At 1:12 PM, Blogger Steg (dos iz nit der šteg) said...

Most people who use text or instant messaging have seen the acronym ROTLF appear on the screen at some point. It stands for "Rolling On the Floor Laughing"

Actually, i think ROTLF would stand for rolling on the LAUGH, FLOORING. ;-)

 
At 1:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

man, I could use a good laugh. Somehow the craziest Thursday night from before the baby seems like a cakewalk compared to now... even WITH some time on Friday afternoon to finish up.

 
At 1:30 PM, Blogger Shifra said...

Ah geez Steg - you are totally stressing me out!

Fine I'll fix it.
:P

 
At 1:41 PM, Blogger Shifra said...

I can understand that.
I don't even START getting ready for Shabbos until the kids are in bed and stop calling to tell me "one more thing."
I'm much faster than I used to be, but it's always a late night.

 
At 2:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting about the insanity that is Thursday night!! Glad you got a laugh in there!

 
At 4:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good Shabbos, Shifra! I don't know what it's like to have all the stress yet because I'm still in college, but I am sure it is overwhelming. What I do know, however, is how to really roll on the floor laughing. My mother and younger brother are possibly the funniest people I have ever met, and every time I am home I can bet on laughing so hard that either I manage to spit/snort out my beverage, almost wet myself, or fall out of my chair and onto the floor with side-splitting laughter. It's a blast, and a great stress reliever!

 
At 5:58 AM, Blogger Sarah Likes Green said...

laughter is the best medicine... as other commenters have already said!

 
At 9:28 PM, Blogger Eliyahu said...

Shifra, what was that again about the funny guy getting the girl?

 
At 5:14 PM, Blogger Chana said...

That's amazingly wonderful. I love laughter and laughing; I find it cures mostly everything. :)

And I love your links to Dunkin Donuts humorous videos and the way you get through your day. This makes me happy. :)

 
At 12:18 AM, Blogger Jack Steiner said...

The spam at the bottom of this post made me chuckle. Ok, it didn't but I felt left out so I needed to come up with something new.

 
At 1:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thursdays are sad for me. I had a bunny named thursday. But he wasn't a nice bunny. He didn't do what I wanted him to do. So I made him go away.

 
At 12:01 PM, Blogger yingerman said...

Uh... is AskHubby for hire?
Let me know ASAP, I know lotsa people who'd love a good laugh.
Thanx

 

Post a Comment

<< Home