.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Ask Shifra

Something Different... Answering questions and making curious observations (online) since 2005.


Powered by WebAds

Friday, October 20, 2006

LOL Issues

I'm working on the second half of my Six Flags/Chol Ha'moed post but now I've got something else on my mind.

My laugh is not office appropriate.

Although the company I work is a bit stodgy my co-workers are a professional but fun (and funny) group. Part of this is because our boss is so moody and quirky that humor is the fastest and easiest was for us to keep each other motivated - but mostly it's just a smart and clever bunch of people who get along really well and have loads of material from right around the office.
I have a very easy laugh and when something strikes me funny I am likely to bust out laughing. As I find my self laughing loudly and often to the whispered jokes and wacky antics of our boss (everyone's favorite is his loud cry of "I'm SOOOO busy!" which is what he says right before he closes his door to make long personal calls which we can all hear through his door) I find myself realizing that I've never cultivated an office appropriate laugh.
Believe me, I've heard worse, my laugh isn't some kind of whinny or snort, just friendly and a bit louder than I'd like at times...

Any advice on how I can it down when jokes catch me off guard?

10 Comments:

At 1:18 PM, Blogger PsychoToddler said...

Maybe Thorazine would work.

 
At 5:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think if you're starting out loud, you should go all the way and cultivate a Fran-Drescher laugh. And big poofy hair. Mini-skirts, boots. Yeah, it's you. ;)

Honestly, I like a loud laugh. It's better than a stifled, constipated, "uh hmm hmm" pseudo-laugh.

 
At 5:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Look at the bright side... As long as your laugh isn't like Janice from Friends you are probably fine...

 
At 12:11 AM, Blogger MUST Gum Addict said...

Well at least it isn't one of those horrible laughs that make everyone in a restuarant turn around or make everyone in a movie theater give you the evil eyes, like some people I know... :)

You need to work on your initial reaction. Maybe bite your lip right before you are about to laugh which will remind you to keep it down. Or maybe stamp your foot, or slap your hand, raise your eyebrows, etc.

 
At 3:03 PM, Blogger Shifra said...

PT: I don't want to be sedated just quieter... Do you mind if I sneak a quick peek at some of your charts? I'm getting a feeling you might be over-prescribing...

Miriam - LOL! That's a good way of looking at it!

 
At 3:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know this isn't *exactly* what you are looking for but maybe it'll help a lil...
http://www.wikihow.com/Stop-Laughing-when-You-Laugh-at-Inappropriate-Times

 
At 3:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry... here:
Stop laughing at inappropriate times

 
At 1:42 AM, Blogger Jack Steiner said...

Marshmallows.

 
At 7:08 PM, Blogger have popcorn will lurk said...

She's not laughing at inappropriate times, people! She's just laughing with _gusto_, like me ;)

IMNSHO people need to learn to love it! It means you love life. You can always quiet down after the initial taken-by-surprise burst - but that initial moment is the best part ;)

BTW - I have a new URL - if you are one of my few readers, come and bookmark me! :)

 
At 12:36 AM, Blogger MC Aryeh said...

Wouldn't change a thing. A natural laugh is way more refreshing than an office laugh...and probably makes those around you feel good, too...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home