.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Ask Shifra

Something Different... Answering questions and making curious observations (online) since 2005.


Powered by WebAds

Friday, June 09, 2006

Access Denied!! (and a random bonus question)

I'm happy to report that things are picking up at my new job.
The other day someone asked me what I thought about something important- I don't think that happened the entire time I worked at my last job so things are looking up!

Between not being able to access my blog and my email at work, and my home computer suddenly dropping dead last night I may be a bit quiet over the next few days.

Oh and before I sign out for the weekend here's something random from the mind of Shifra:

A few weeks ago I drove out to Connecticut where I have driven many times before. Each time I drive up I always notice a brown sign indicating the location of the "Bruce Museum." I have never been to or heard of this museum (except for on its official brown highway marker) so my husband and I have made a bit of a joke of it over the years. In our minds it's a museum that pays hommage to famous "Bruces."
For example: there would be a sport/athletic wing featuring the likeness of Bruce Lee and Bruce Jenner, while Bruce Springstien and Bruce Hornsby would help to round out the music section.

Which famous Bruces would you add to my fanciful "Bruce Museum?"

I'm sure that if I visitied the real one I'd me sorely dissapointed.

15 Comments:

At 9:53 AM, Blogger PsychoToddler said...

It's probably an Australian Culture museum or something.

 
At 10:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://www.brucemuseum.org/

 
At 11:30 AM, Blogger StepIma said...

lenny bruce?

but I was thinking what PT said -- remember the Monty Python Australia sketch...?

G'day Bruce, G'day, Bruce, G'day Bruce... You a poofter, Bruce...?

Maybe you had to be there.

 
At 12:41 PM, Blogger Air Time said...

you have to add Bruce Wayne to the fictional bruce wing, and Isaac Bruce to the Sports wing.

 
At 3:22 PM, Blogger projgen said...

(oh darn, mirty beat me to ELO's "brrrrrrruccce")

Speaking of Bruce Wayne...
Bruce Lee aka The Green Hornet

Bruce the Shark from Finding Nemo

Bruce Campbell, most loved by me for his idiotic role in Hercules: the Legendary Journeys.

Bruce Vilanch, the comic writer. He was much better when he stayed *behind* the camera and just wrote.

Robert Bruce, (Robert *the* Bruce? Must Google...) King of Scotland.

I can't think of any more at the moment. Must be a small museum. ;)

 
At 4:18 PM, Blogger #murduac said...

don't forget:

Bruce (Jaws)
and
Bruce McCulloch (kids in the hall)

~ sevenleagueboots

 
At 6:43 PM, Blogger Elie said...

And of course Bruce Banner, the Hulk!

I always thought the lyric in that ELO song was "Roos", not "Bruce". In fact my version of it, appropos of the megilla we read last Shabbos, is:

"Roos! Ha'moaviah, Roos! Ha'moaviah..."

 
At 10:37 PM, Blogger Shifra said...

Mirty/Elie
That song is a mystery to me as well.
I'm usually pretty good about being able to understand/explain lyrics (I acutally always thought the name/sound was "Roos" as well.)
I surfed around for some kind of explanation on the web but I didn't find anything useful.

Maybe you are on to something Mirty - maybe "Bruce" was once the girl he used to know but now he's gone off and become a man and that could really bring a person down (or maybe even knock them to the floor!)

 
At 10:47 PM, Blogger Shifra said...

Wait!
This just in - a little more digging reveal the following unconfirmed report on the matter of "bruce" and ELO:

"In VH-1 Storytellers in 2001, Jeff Lynne told the story that he had origninally and unknowingly placed the word "grus"(?)which he learned means "greetings" in German and decided to leave it in the song. The story went on that at every concert, everyone would always sing, "Bruce!" and he ended up doing the same.
- Jack, Port St, Lucie, FL"

Who knew?!

 
At 4:06 AM, Blogger Jameel @ The Muqata said...

Shifra: Late last night after reading this post, I had 3 comments to put in. I remembered the ELO song, but Mirty snagged that, then I was going to write about Lenny Bruce, but I wasn't surprised when StepIma put that in also.

So all I could think of writing was that whenever I heard the ELO song I always thought the word was "Gruce", not Bruce. But that sounded way too silly for me to write...and now I see it written here as well.

Moral of the story? Comment early before all the good feedback comes from other people...

 
At 5:36 PM, Blogger Elie said...

Is it possible that Jeff Lynne attended Gruss? I never even knew he was Jewish!

 
At 10:31 AM, Blogger PsychoToddler said...

What's your name? Shifra? Why, that's confusing! Mind if we call ye Bruce?

 
At 1:23 PM, Blogger Jerusalemcop said...

I cant believe that none of u tried googling the bruce museum to see what it really is.

here's why its called the bruce museum of arts and science.

"The Museum was originally built as a private home in 1853. Robert Moffat Bruce (1822-1908), a wealthy textile merchant and member of the New York Cotton Exchange, bought the house and property in 1858.

In 1908, Robert Bruce bequeathed his home to the Town of Greenwich and stipulated that it be used "as a Natural History, Historical and Art Museum, for the use and benefit of the public."

Wonder if he was related to Robert the Bruce, 1st King of Scotland after it gained its independence from England (See Braveheart)

J.

 
At 10:43 AM, Blogger Scraps said...

I can't believe that none of you thought of Bruce Willis!

 
At 9:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

requiring seeking verdana couched limitation blogall vigour newton disorders detriment bulk
lolikneri havaqatsu

 

Post a Comment

<< Home