.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Ask Shifra

Something Different... Answering questions and making curious observations (online) since 2005.


Powered by WebAds

Saturday, March 04, 2006

But Enough About Me....

OK this blog is getting WAAAAY to whiney.
Let me get back to business.

Here's an amusing question I should have gotten to last week but I was too busy weeping at my desk.... I mean working.

Shifra,

Walking around my office today I noticed several of my co-workers are acknowledging Ash Wednesday by sporting a liberal dose of ashes in the middle of their foreheads. In two of the cases, the ashes form a design that look suspiciously like the prophet Muhammed. Moreover, one of these individuals had a danish for breakfast this morning! Should I be concerned about collateral damage from spontaneous rioting?

-- Concerned for my Safety

Ah Ash Wednesday the day it's OK to come in late just as long as you remember not to wash your face first! For me Ash Wednesday is a constant battle with my inner mom to keep me from grabbing a wash cloth and removing the smudge from people's forheads. Must...respect... the...culture...of others...

Concerned you sound like another paranoid victim of the media.
The building I worked in (WAAAH... ahem) had a fire drill not so long ago. As I was walking VERY slowly down the crowded stairwell one of my officemates yelled out "NOBODY PANIC!!"
Fortunately for all of us everyone was talking and gossiping so no one paid him any mind, but these days when the media tells us to panic we panic.

As for your fears of rioting, don't worry- I don't think many millitant Muslims attend mass.
If I were you I'd take the box of danishes from the break room back to my desk for safe keeping (just in case.)

10 Comments:

At 2:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Remember the scene in the movie Airplane where the passengers find out there's no one to fly the plane and start freaking out? The blinking "Don't Panic" sign that changed to "Ok, Ok, Panic" when someone took a fire extinguisher to it? :-)

 
At 3:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahh...I remember in College when I saw a girl with the ashes (and I had no clue) and I said "M..you have a spot of dirt on your forehead"

It wasn't a good day for religious relations in our dorm ;)

In highschool the kids must have done it after school, because I never remember seeing it in my public high school

 
At 12:24 PM, Blogger Mar Gavriel said...

I've always felt that Ash Wednesday, and the subsequent Special Days in Lent (what are they called? Palm Sunday, Maundy Thursday, Good Friday, Holy Saturdy) are sort of like the Arba` Poroshiyyôs (Shekolim, Zokhôr, Poro, and HaHôdesh). Just as our Special Days lead into Pesah, so do their Special Days lead into Easter.

For a long time, I have wondered whether their days are somehow based on the ארבע פרשיות.

 
At 3:43 PM, Blogger Lab Rab said...

Odd how you didn't run into anybody celebrating Ash Shifra ....

 
At 11:10 PM, Blogger Shifra said...

Oooh don't start that Ash Shifra thing again...
MG can explain...

 
At 12:13 AM, Blogger Mar Gavriel said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 12:14 AM, Blogger Mar Gavriel said...

Oh, @%$&$! I forgot to celebrate Ash Shifra on Rosh Hodesh Adar this year! Well, there's always next year.

 
At 12:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

mar:
"I have wondered whether their days are somehow based on the ארבע פרשיות"
sure, ash wednesday=parashas para

good friday=parshas zachor
(hint do you know what good friday is?)

palm sunday determines the date for easter so we'll go with parshas hachodesh

Maundy Thursday is a rather busy sacramental day, so we can safely assume that's what all the shkalim were used (l'havdil) for

enough with all the blaspheme
I was in a pathmark a couple 'o years ago, when the infamous g'asured mel gibson movie was showing, and a couple of poeple had uh uh ...ash on their foreheads.
Anyway I was sure it was the beginning of a progrom caused by the movie
It was a rather akward shopping expirience

 
At 2:19 PM, Blogger and so it shall be... said...

"(hint do you know what good friday is?)"

any friday that i get to shul before L'cha Dodi. doesn't happen often.

 
At 1:28 PM, Blogger Little Wolf said...

I have for years refered to it as Schmutz Wednesday. And I have to say that I also have an overwhealming desire to 'clean' the schmutz off with a towel or what ever else is handy. (I also forget that it is Schmutz Wednesday until I have seen several people with the schmutz.)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home