.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Ask Shifra

Something Different... Answering questions and making curious observations (online) since 2005.


Powered by WebAds

Thursday, February 23, 2006

Fantasy Island

Hi Guys,
I've been getting lots of nice emails and instant messages asking me if I'm OK since I'm not blogging or commenting much. Honestly I'm not doing so well. My brother is back in the hospital, I'm overwhelmed at work, there has been a lot trauma (deaths in the family and illnesses) in my neighborhood and I'm sick as a dog (arf!)

I'm not much in the mood to complain or even talk about my problems so instead let me take you on a tour of my own personal fantasy island, which unlike the show of the same name, is not creepy at all and does not star Richardo Montelban.

My island is small and uninhabited except for a few indigenous animals, lizards and birds of the small, cute, and harmless variety It is slightly below the equator and is a pleasant temperature between 75-85 degrees year round (slightly colder at night) - raining infrequently as needed to keep the lush flora green and flowering and the tropical fruit trees fruitful. There would of course be fresh water available as well.

Since I would not be shipwrecked but rather intentionally visiting this island I would be well stocked with the things I would need. I'd try to keep it simple. Food, clothing, first aid supplies, sunscreen (I'm very pale) a guitar, paper and pencils, books, a knife, rope, fishing gear, some sort of collapsible shelter, a signaling device to let my helicopter pilot know I'd like to come home, and of course I can't forget my towel!

Since this is an island of complete fantasy it would not be subject to the laws of time. I could be there for a day or a week and no one would miss me. Just like in Narnia all the time I'd spend on my Island would correspond to very little time in the real world - leaving me with no messes to clean up upon my reentry to my regularly scheduled life (or at least no bigger ones than I left behind.) I could completely relax, free from responsibilities, guilt, and pressure. Just me, the sun, the sound of the ocean and an occasion pineapple.

Ahhhh.
If only.

14 Comments:

At 1:27 PM, Blogger Jack Steiner said...

Hang in there. We're thinking about you.

 
At 1:51 PM, Blogger Noam S said...

hope things get better....quickly.

 
At 2:48 PM, Blogger Elie said...

Feel better and let us know if there's anything you need!

The island sounds great. Add a TV and I'm there.

 
At 3:19 PM, Blogger Steg (dos iz nit der šteg) said...

what they said, multiple times more

 
At 7:06 PM, Blogger Regina said...

Yes, take care of yourself as best you can. Prayers for your brother and I am hoping things calm down for you soon...

 
At 7:52 PM, Blogger MUST Gum Addict said...

The beauty of your island is that you're alone, even though you know that you're really not alone. We're always here for you.

 
At 3:46 AM, Blogger Ezzie said...

Refuah shleimah.

Beautiful dream - I relaxed just thinking about it.

 
At 10:23 AM, Blogger Scraps said...

(((HUGS)))

Refuah shelaimah. We're thinking of you all the time.

 
At 10:38 AM, Blogger Lab Rab said...

Better pack an extra towel ... you never know when they can come in handy.

Which books would you bring?

[And yeah, what everyone else said too.]

 
At 1:27 PM, Blogger Little Wolf said...

Add me to list of well wishers, as always. Hope Brother gets out of the hospital and on the way to good health again.

Let me know if I can do anything.

 
At 4:06 PM, Blogger kasamba said...

Is there room on your island for me?

 
At 7:33 PM, Blogger Mar Gavriel said...

Did you say "arf"? Scottie says hi. And be well.

 
At 2:40 PM, Blogger Jameel @ The Muqata said...

Is your island available for TimeSharing?

The Mrs. @ The Muqata would probably love it there.

 
At 2:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wouldn't mind a stay on your Island, once you come back and Mrs @ the Muqata has had a stay...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home