.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Ask Shifra

Something Different... Answering questions and making curious observations (online) since 2005.


Powered by WebAds

Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Coffee, I love you.

Dear Coffee,

As I imbibe yet another cupful of your creamy brown deliciousness I realize that I have never taken the time out to tell you just how much you mean to me.

Whether you are a homemade cup out of can that my husband bought on sale at Shoprite or an overpriced latte at Starbucks, baby you are the only one for me. Mix yourself with milk, cream, vanilla, sugar, or all manner of artificial flavorings, I'll know you as soon as I pick up your steaming scent.

I know we come from different worlds. You are so exotic from Columbia, Ethiopia, Brazil, and I'm so ordinary, but it doesn't matter, we were meant to be together.

Coffee to me you are great cureall, my solution to nearly every problem:
Tired? Coffee
hangover? Coffee
Sinus Headache? Coffee
Scratchy Throat? Coffee
Depressed? Coffee

Don't even get me started on all the times you've saved my hide at work, allowing me to work faster, get things done, and stay awake during long droning meetings. Coffee you're all I need.

True, I know you are not always good for me. Remember the time my doctor put me on heartrate monitor for 48 hours because my pulse was racing? He told me to abandon you, and I did, for a time, but I always knew in my palpatating heart I'd be back. Now that we've been apart I know how miserable life is without you. I work hard to keep the balance between enjoying your caffeinated goodness and a trip to the emergency room.

From your bumpy ride in the satchel of Juan Valdez's donkey to my paper cup with the plastic top your journey has been well worth while.
Coffee, I love you.

16 Comments:

At 10:41 AM, Blogger Steg (dos iz nit der šteg) said...

oh get a room! :-P

 
At 10:54 AM, Blogger Eliyahu said...

isn't love wonderful?

 
At 11:19 AM, Blogger Air Time said...

Loving coffee so personal, so emotional, it is something that can touch everyone, so long as no one touches your coffee

It means sometimes grinding your own beans and brewing your own coffee

It means drinking the sludge that someone at the office made three hours ago

It means drinking it black because there is no cream, sugar or milk

It means walking into Dunkin Donuts or Starbucks and saying without missing a beat that I'd like a medium double mocha-frappa-locha chino hold the ice, two milks, one cream half a sugar, one more shot of milk, a shot of caramel and then the rest of the sugar packet

And it means that soemtimes your blog friends (BLends?) make fun of your preoccupation with coffee.

 
At 11:23 AM, Blogger Shifra said...

Steg- LOL, and don't worry I have a place in my heart for you too (you sounded a little jealous).

Airtime, you need to stop showing me up! The more you comment on my blog the crappier my own writing looks (not that it takes much....)

 
At 11:28 AM, Blogger orthomom said...

EVERYONE, ENOUGH ABOUT COFFEE ALREADY!
(Um, can you tell I missed mine this moring?)

 
At 11:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is coffee really that bad for you? I think I've read some studies that it decreases heart disease, diabetes, and some other stuff...plus it's an appetite suppressant (the caffeine) and don't we all need that sometimes...or is that just me...ahem...

 
At 12:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

you might want to try decaf for cups 2 and 4 during the day at least thats what my doctor told me after my caffiene induced heart palps.

 
At 12:15 PM, Blogger AMSHINOVER said...

i'm the sameway with blogging

 
At 12:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

See check this out:
http://www.health.harvard.edu/press_releases/coffee_health_risk.htm

 
At 12:46 PM, Blogger Avi said...

Shifra, stop drinking all that coffee, or try decalf. My wife loved to drink coffee, now she only drinks decalf and a lot less then she used to.

 
At 1:04 PM, Blogger Air Time said...

Shifra

How abowt eef I speel theengs rong. kan i stel comeant?

 
At 1:48 PM, Blogger SemGirl said...

Well its not mutual. Coffee doesnt love me back. I get really bad stomache aches from coffee.

 
At 2:00 PM, Blogger Shifra said...

Air time,

Now I'm just going to confuse you with DB and Amshi!

Avi, Brutus, I have cut back to two cups a day, to me decaf is just a waste of time.

 
At 2:49 PM, Blogger AMSHINOVER said...

com ohn' iz me speleng reely az bahd az dof beers?

 
At 6:06 PM, Blogger Goldie said...

From the healthspan calculator:

"Excessive coffee can be a sign of increased stress. Stress can lead to hormonal imbalance, which can physically stress and age numerous organs. In addition, coffee predisposes the stomach to chronic inflammation of the stomach and ulcers. Such chronic inflammation leads to the release of substances that raise the risk of heart disease."

Seems a bit harsh for a seemingly harmless love affair...But the calculator is fun!

 
At 6:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I go out of the house on assorted errands, I often space out, thinking of my busy life. Without fail, I find myself unconsciously converging on a local coffee shop. Perhaps, I awake out of my somnolescence, standing in front of the Starbucks inside the local supermarket. Alternatively, I have driven in the opposite direction from the bank from which I intended to withdraw $60 only to find myself in the Dunkin' Donuts parking lot.

Of course, once the coffee kicks in, I awake to a random order: iced or regular, french vanilla or caramel, sugar or Splenda. Somehow it's always just right. UNLESS THE MILK IS SPOILED! :-<

P.S. I know this post had no point, but I haven't had my afternoon coffee. It's understandable if I can't yet focus on other tasks. ;-)

Mull this discussion over while sipping your favorite brew.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home